"Why I Wrote the Crucible" Questions
1) Define two unknown words and use them in an original sentence.
2) What is the "paralysis" Miller responded to by writing the play?
3) What were some parallel characteristics between the Salem Witch Trials and the McCarthy "hunt for Reds in America?"
4) How has the play become a political tool?
1) What is one simile/metaphor Miller uses? Is it effective? Why or why not?
2) What kind of previous knowledge might be useful before reading this essay?
3) How might an "archaic speech" become new to a writer?
4) Who might the intended audience be for this essay? Use evidence to support your reasoning.