List of journal items due for this grading period.
Continue Dear America documentary
HW Read "Love", "Spin" and "Rainy River" for Tuesday
AND identify stylistic devices. Define ambiguity, ambivalence, and apathy. In what way do these ideas create a new sense of what it means to fight in war?
Begin Norming groups
- review prompts and rubrics
- create groups and read student essays
- calculate and AP estimate grade
cont' norming groups
HW Read "How to Tell a True War Story" and complete handout
Notes: Geo-political information regarding Vietnam's history
Watch excerpts from Platoon or Hamburger Hill
-compare experiences between book and movie
HW Read "The Dentist" and "Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong" for Monday: pay close attention to stylistic devices in chapter 9.
- in groups of 3-4
- write a 3rd level question or record a thought-provoking excerpt
- pass your paper around and have respond to each other
- at least 1/2 page of writing per student
- responses should be thoughtful, engaging and reflect themes we have been discussing regarding war, perspective, etc.
"Dulce et Decorum Est"
-realism vs. romanticism