Quaker Share Journal #8 WitchHunt
Group Discussions Act III
Analyze arguments against "witches"
Finish notes on Mc Carthyism
HW Journal #9 Independent Reading Journal Format
HW Seminar Questions: prepare answers for fishbowl seminar on Thursday
HW Journal #10 "Why I Wrote the Crucible"
1) Define two unknown words and use them in an original sentence.
2) What is the "paralysis" Miller responded to by writing the play?
3) What are some of the parallel characteristics between the Salem Witch Trial and the McCarthy "hunt for Reds in America"?
4) How has the play become a political tool?
1) What is one simile/metaphor Miller uses? Is it effective? Why or why not?
2) What kind if previous knowledge might be useful before reading this essay?
3) How might an "archaic speech" become new to a writer?
4) Who might the intended audience be for this essay? Use evidence to support you response.
THURS & FRI
Journal #11: Timed Writing in Journal
HW Journal#12: Independent Reading -Format
Nov 8-10, 15
The Synthesis Essay
Writing to two sides of an issue
Extra (credit? like, no way!)
Ask me for a copy of Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown" and in a Journal Entry labeled BONUS complete a rhetorical box.