Finish Act I of movie
Review Edward's Piece
3Q Discussion on ACT II
Group Conversations for Act II
HW Make sure you respond to a question on turnitin.com
AND read Act III and write 3-level Qs by Friday
Watch ACT II
THURS & FRI
Read Act II supplement
-discuss why it was removed and how it might have changed our reception of the play
Letters from the time period:
Group Conversations for Act III
The timeline leading up to Salem witchhunt
HW (for Monday) in journal #8: Creative Writing- WitchHunt
Identify fallacies in court arguments against "witches"
Independent Reading Check
Sign up for In The News and Independent Reading Presentation
Journal #9, format and answer the following questions on Miller's "Why I wrote the Crucible"
1) Define two unknown words and use them in an original sentence.
2) What is the "paralysis" Miller responded to by writing the play?
3) What are some of the parallel characteristics between the Salem Witch Trial and the McCarthy "hunt for Reds in America"?
4) How has the play become a political tool?
1) What is one simile/metaphor Miller uses? Is it effective? Why or why not?
2) What kind if previous knowledge might be useful before reading this essay?
3) How might am "archaic speech" become new to a writer?
4) Who might the intended audience be for this essay? Use evidence to support you response.
-Is John Proctor a tragic hero? -how?
-How do characters use the devil to their advantage and to the disadvantage of others?
Fishbowl Seminar: See Essential Questions
AP Prep: Synthesis Paper
Extra (credit? like, no way!)
Ask me for a copy of Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown" and in a Journal Entry labeled BONUS complete a rhetorical box.