The Grapes of Wrath
Pair up and share/brainstorm regarding annotations and explication of intercalary chapter.
California History as told by Kenneth Starr
-relevance to GoW
-noticing the subtleties in Steinbeck's writing
-apply to intercalary close reading
HW Intercalary essay typed draft due tomorrow
Peer Review drafts
-check for WHAT, HOW, and WHY (see flow chart)
-check g/m; spelling and such
ESSAY DUE FRIDAY TO TURNITIN.com
class id: 3467516
HW Steinbeck Nobel Prize Speech: journal entry #3 (use journal format)
Prepare to share
GoW Vocabulary List
-add to rings
Non-Fiction Independent Reading List (see To Print or Not To Print)
Review entry #3
Folk Music and Woody Guthrie
Need to hear it again? Go to YouTube and type in Guthrie Tom Joad. While you're there listen and watch Blowin' down the Road.
HW choose your independent book and begin reading ASAP;
AND as Journal #6 consider the lyrics to the Guthrie song:
1. Does Guthrie's music and lyrics match your understanding of Tom Joad's experience?
2. At the end of the song, what impression to you think Guthrie wants to leave you with?
3. Who might a target audience have been for this song?
4. Focus on specific lyrics, is there any significance in Guthrie's lyrics as they interpret Steinbeck's narrative?
5. What other subjects from the book would have made interesting music?
Last opportunity to clarify or ask questions for Intercalary Essay
Review Guthrie lyrics and questions
Add to Literary Terms
HW Intercalary Essay due to turnitin.com by 12pm, tomorrow.
GoW Annotated Bibliography
Review what qualifies as primary and secondary source.
Proquest, library, the web,
Choosing a topic
Sample & Rubric