Vocab quiz on Thursday
Review Chapter 3
-identify and connect key language to themes
Finish Act 3 Movie
HW Read Act 4 by Thursday
Finish Act 3 movie
-identifying logical fallacies in case against "witches"
HW Journal #12: Arthur Miller's "Why I wrote the Crucible"
1) Define two unknown words and use them in an original sentence.
2) What is the "paralysis" Miller responded to by writing the play?
3) What are some of the parallel characteristics between the Salem Witch Trial and the McCarthy "hunt for Reds in America"?
4) How has the play become a political tool?
1) What is one simile/metaphor Miller uses? Is it effective? Why or why not?
2) What kind if previous knowledge might be useful before reading this essay?
3) How might am "archaic speech" become new to a writer?
4) Who might the intended audience be for this essay? Use evidence to support you response.
Review Miller's Essay
HW Journal #13: See Witch Hunt
Review ACT 4 and prepare for seminar on Monday
-see seminar questions, choose 5 to answer.
Read Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown" and identify similarities. How does it warn readers? Who is the intended audience?
Is The Crucible a tragedy?
-is John Proctor a tragic hero? -how?
How do characters use the devil to their advantage and to the disadvantage of others?