Back to School Night
Peer Review IN the News practice
-sign your name
Choose 3 intercalary chapters from The Grapes of Wrath and brainstorm how the language emphasizes the overall theme or message of the chapter. In other words, how might Steinbeck employ style (literary devices) to relay theme; and finally, how might the chapter theme connect to an overall theme of the book.
HW: finish brainstorm
--defining in context
Working through rhetorical analysis of intercalary chapters.
Intercalary Chapter assignment and rubric
DUE NEXT WED by 10PMto turnitin.com
HW Steinbeck Nobel Prize Speech Journal Entry #5, be prepared to share tomorrow.
Review Steinbeck speech
-connect to themes in GoW
Intercalary Model Essay
-annotating your chapters
-sample mark up
Work together on chapter, outlining essay
HW Bring in annotated chapter, literary and vocabulary rings
Last opportunity to clarify or ask questions for Intercalary Essay
Non-Fiction Independent Reading List (see To Print or Not To Print)
Folk Music and Woody Guthrie
Woody Guthrie Song
Need to hear it again? Go to YouTube and type in Guthrie Tom Joad. While you're there listen and watch Blowin' down the Road.
HW choose your independent book and begin reading ASAP;
AND Consider the lyrics to the Guthrie song:
1. Does Guthrie's music and lyrics match your understanding of Tom Joad's experience?
2. At the end of the song, what impression to you think Guthrie wants to leave you with?
3. Who might a target audience have been for this song?
4. Focus on specific lyrics, is there any significance in Guthrie's lyrics as they interpret Steinbeck's narrative?
5. What other subjects from the book would have made interesting music?